While reading the Evil Overlord List, I was inspired to create its counterpart- a list of rules for any aspiring hero to avoid the most common, cliche’ mistakes. My resolve to write this list was strengthened while watching a certain terrible anime.
This list is dedicated to anyone who is the hero in their dreams- may you make your dreams real. Please read, and if you think of any rules- add them in the comments!
- Do not play a game the villain has stacked against you, even if he calls you a chicken or uses a mean voice.
2.If the key that you’re protecting will destroy the world if it falls in the wrong hands, just go ahead and throw it in the nearest volcano.
3. Don’t turn down rewards to appear noble. Saving the world is a worthy cause that needs funding.
4. Give weapons and combat training to the beautiful damsel as soon as possible. Give the same training to the cute kid.
5. Don’t leave the ailing king in his obvious, poorly-guarded palace. Don’t wait until the palace is under attack to spirit him away through a hidden passage.
6. Don’t pin all of your hopes on the power of love. Superior technology, strength, and political power are pretty cool, too.
7. Don’t leave your friends in a misguided attempt to protect them.
8. If a villager mentions a legendary item, you will have to find it. If all of the villagers warn you not to go into the mysterious forest or cave, you will have to go.
9. The old adage is true- never split the party.
10. Don’t trust the beautiful, mysterious princess that you just happened to rescue from the dungeon.
11. Give alms to every old woman you come across. If you sneer at her appearance, don’t be surprised if she curses you.
12. Listen to the mysterious old hermit- especially if he sounds crazy.
13. When everything seems to be going well, you are unwittingly working for the bad guy. When everything goes wrong, assume the same.
14. When you face the bad guy, don’t just sit and listen as he gloats about his evil scheme. Use the distraction to attack or escape.
15. Don’t waste your time with the bumbling minions. They mostly exist to give the boss a chance to escape.
16. Don’t assume the villain is gone for good. Double tap.
17.When you enter the villain’s lair, look for the quickest escape route first. Look for the self-destruct button second.
18. If you find yourself spending an unexpectedly happy, peaceful day with your long-lost loved ones, you are really in a dungeon under a spell.
19. Work out a reliable code with your true love ahead of time, so you can shoot the real doppelganger.
20. Collateral damage is bad PR.
21.Don’t throw away the guard’s uniforms as soon as you infiltrate the castle. Keep your mask on.
22. Asking the villain, “why did you do it?” is usually pointless.
23. Maybe, deep down, you and the villain aren’t so different, but least you aren’t trying to destroy the world. That still counts for something.
24. If there is a very good reason to disregard any of these rules, do so- especially this one.